Enrolling new students at SSMS for the 2017-2018 school year:
Proof of residence must be provided for every student who plans to attend Shirley D. Simmons Middle School in the Fall 2017. Parents are asked to provide this information each year and to update other enrollment documents.
Residency information is requested by July 14th, 2017 The more promptly you provide the information, the more efficiently classroom assignments may be made.
Bring your documentation to the office between the hours of 8:00 and 2:00 p.m. The office is open Monday through Friday. If you have questions, please call the school office at 601.855.2406
If you own your home:
- You must submit one of the following: Filed Homestead Exemption, warranty or property deed.
- Also, you must provide two different current utility bills no earlier than the current date of registration. The bills should clearly show the street address and name shown on the mortgage documents. Any document with a post office box as an address will not be accepted.
If you lease your home:
- You must submit a current bill in your name at the registered address. Note: All leases must be current and the name of every occupant must be listed on the lease.
- Also, you must provide two different current utility bills no earlier than the current date of registration of the primary owner's name. The bills should clearly show the street address and name shown on the lease. Any document with a post office box as an address will not be accepted.
- You have a special affidavit signed and notarized with the leasee's name and the primary owner's name.
New Student Registration
Students who are NEW to the Madison County School District must provide residency information as above. In addition, the following are required:
- A certified letter of guardianship, if enrolling a student as his/her legal guardian (ex. divorce, custody, etc.).
- A copy of the child's Social Security card.
- A certified Birth Certificate (no copies).
- A current certificate of health compliance (immunization form) issued by the Mississippi Department of Health or a local physician. The form must include two chicken pox vaccinations.
- Final report card from the latest school attended and a withdrawal form from the last school attended if the school year has not ended.
If applicable, verification of eligibility will be needed for the gifted/talented program or special education services (copy of IEP).
Home schooled/Non-accredited private school: Students will have to be administered a placement test prior to completion of enrollment. The school counselor will contact you to schedule a testing time, prior to the beginning of school.