MADISON AVENUE ELEMENTARY K-2
Dr. Brenda Jones, Principal
1199 Madison Avenue
Madison, MS 39110
DESCRIPTION OF SCHOOL:
Madison Avenue Elementary (MAE) is a kindergarten through 2nd grade learning environment. MAE is one of 11 public elementary schools in the Madison County School District with approximately 500 enrolled.
At MAE, we focus on achieving academic excellence, maintaining a safe learning environment, and developing healthy and active students. Acceptable behaviors are taught through the school wide Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (PBIS) system. This system is an effort to create a positive school community with consistent expectations in all areas of the school. From the hallways to the playground, from the cafeteria to the restrooms, PBIS helps MAE students understand what is expected of them and provides motivation to comply with those expectations. This year's school theme: Character Counts will provide many opportunities for students to build strong life long traits that will impact their learning for years to come.
Daily special area rotation classes allow students to be exposed to music, the arts, the library, computer lab, and physical education on a regular basis. Plans are under way to add clubs to include Chess, Running and Choir.
We have a diverse student population and an active and involved Parent Teacher Organization.
Please spend time viewing our website and see all the wonderful things about our school and ways you can participate.
STAFF AND ACCREDITATIONS:
- 21 certified classroom teachers including 6 national board-certified personnel
- Certified English language Learner specialist
- Full-time school counselor
- Full-time literacy specialist
- Full-time certified library media specialist
- Full-time certified PE teacher
- Full-time certified music teacher
- 4 Full-time SPED resource specialists and assistants
- Full-time certified Gifted Program teacher (Pathways)
- Full-time computer teacher
- Full-time art teacher
- Two certified speech therapists
- Part-time nurse
For more details, please refer to the Teacher subheading on the school website. Staff members have additional information on their individual web pages.
Model School Status
Madison Avenue Elementary has the distinction of being a "Model School" for the arts as awarded by Mississippi Arts Commission's whole Schools Initiative. Since implementing the arts, our school has received numerous awards and recognitions for successfully integrating the arts across the entire kindergarten through second grade curriculum. Students experienced the vibrancy of music, drama, dance, and visual art opportunities not just in the special area classes, but also in the regular classrooms, as well. MAE is one of nine schools in the state and one of two schools in Madison with this distinguished status.
The "Model School" honor provides grant money for professional development. Our teachers attend workshops and conferences where they can discuss ways to improve teaching through the arts. MAE further demonstrates its commitment to the arts by inviting nationally known speakers like Melanie Layne from the Kennedy Arts Center and Bobby Norfolk, an Emmy-award winning storyteller and teaching artist, to our school to give dynamic and instructional presentations. Additionally, we partner with the Mississippi Alliance for Arts Education and receive tremendous support from this organization.
Arts integration is an invaluable teaching strategy for engaging students in the course material and creating teachable moments that outlast the academic school year. Studies also show increased standardized test scores, increased community and parent involvement, and improved teacher morale. With art integration everyone wins!
We utilize STAR and Early Literacy, Benchmark Assessment, MAP testing, and OLSAT.
CURRICULUM-RELATED SPECIAL EVENTS:
- 4 Accelerated Reader Secret Events
- 2nd Grade Cowboy Day
- 1st Grade Mississippi Day
- Kindergarten Thanksgiving Day Feast
- Reading Fair
- Dr. Seuss Day with Celebrity Readers
- Visits from guest authors and artists
- 2nd Grade Fairly Tale Ball
- Grade level music programs
- Christmas school wide event
- Arts on the Avenue
- Dot Day
- "Poem in your pocket" Day
- Monthly classroom character-development lessons
- "Poetry and Art in the Computer Lab" project funded by the Junior Auxiliary of Madison
OPTIONAL EXTRA-CURRICULUM ACTIVITIES:
- Strings Orchestra, Computer Tots, Drama Kids, KidzArt, Lego Bricks for Kids
- Canned Food Drive
- Collection for March of Dimes
- Veterans' Day Program
- "Light It Up Blue" for Autism Speaks
- School Partnership with other schools
- American Lung Association
- Wheel Cats- Wheel Chair Basketball Team
- Make-A-Wish Foundation
Madison Avenue Elementary is located in Madison, a suburb north of Jackson. The area's convenient location, strong school system, high property values and easy access to Jackson have made south Madison County one of the most rapidly developing communities within the United States, according to the 2000 U.S. Census. Family Circle Magazine named Madison as one of their "to Best Cities in 2007.