Students will be enriched with music activities that line up with the Mississippi Music Frameworks and also the National Standards for Music Education. All of these standards can be achieved even at the kindergarten, first- and second-grade levels.
National Standards for Music Education:
1. Singing, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
2. Performing on instruments, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
3. Improvising melodies, variations and accompaniments.
4. Composing and arranging music within specified guidelines.
5. Reading and notating music.
6. Listening to, analyzing and describing music.
7. Evaluating music and music performances.
8. Understanding relationships between music, the other arts and disciplines outside the arts.
9. Understanding music in relation to history and culture.
ASE music teacher Princess Thompson is an eclectic music educator who uses many music pedagogical approaches to teaching students to sing, perform and love music. She frequently uses the Orff-Schulwerk methodology in the music room, which is a total approach to fostering creativity in kids while teaching musical knowledge and skills. It is based on things children like to do: sing, chant rhyme, clap, dance and keep a steady beat. The students have a great time using Orff instruments in the classroom.
Above all, Ms. Thompson teaches children a lifelong love of music through her love and passion for music. It’s going to be a magnificent musical year at Ann Smith Elementary!
About Princess Thompson:
Princess Thompson is beginning her third year as music teacher at ASE and her ninth year with the Madison County School District. Ms. Thompson is a graduate of the University of Southern Mississippi and Mississippi College and is a National Board Certified music teacher. She is an active member of the National Association for Music Education and also active at the state level. In her spare time, she enjoys hanging out with her family and friends. Ms. Thompson is a proud member of New Jerusalem Church in Jackson, MS.