Phyllis Shoemaker Regnier
Music Education (3-5)
Tell me, and I will forget.
Show me, and I may remember.
Involve me, and I will understand. -Confucius (450 B.C.)
WELCOME TO 2014 - 2015 MAVERICK MUSIC
About the Teacher
Phyllis Shoemaker Regnier has enjoyed twenty-four years of teaching music in Mississippi and Tennessee schools. She received her Bachelor of Music Education from Mississippi College and Master of Arts in Education / Curriculum and Instruction from the University of Phoenix. She has worked as a professional in music education and church music for thirty-nine years.
Throughout the school year Mannsdale students explore all styles of music through history, theory, listening, moving, singing, and performance. Grade level music performances are based on common core objectives. Third and fourth grade students also participate in recorder study during rotation periods.
Fifth grade students are invited to audition for the Mannsdale Singers Honor Choir. The Honor Choir is an elite group of singers chosen for vocal ability and strong character. Our focus is teamwork and proper vocal production. Our goal is to prepare students for vocal growth and choral performance. Throughout the school year we represent Mannsdale with several performances. We also provide a Community Service program in the spring. Honor Choir is an opportunity for students to make a year-long commitment to learning, growing, and sharing with our community.
Basic Competencies for Music Education
1. Singing, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
2. Performing on instruments, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
3. Improvising melodies, variations, and accompaniments.
4. Composing and arranging music within specified guidelines.
5. Reading and notating music.
6. Listening to, analyzing, and describing music.
7. Evaluating music and music performances.
8. Understanding relationships between music, the other arts, and disciplines outside the arts.
9. Understanding music in relation to history and culture.